Would you like to make this site your homepage? It's fast and easy...
Yes, Please make this my home page!
The Old Sabin Tavern Door
The Gaspee Room of Mary Arnold Talbot house - Providence
Public Library Collection gc 2653
Sabin Tavern - Providence - South Main and Planet
Street - demolished about 1870 - Memorial tablet states: Sons of Liberty
- Upon this corner stood the Sabin tavern in which on the evening of June
9 1772 the party met and organized to destroy H.R.M. Schooner Gaspee, in
the destruction of which was shed the first blood in the American Revolution.
Providence Public Library Collection wc 688.1
The Old Sabin Tavern that once stood at the
corner of South Main and Planet Streets, Providence, was built in 1763.
In this tavern on the evening of June 9, 1772, Rhode Island patriots met
and made plans to burn the British revenue schooner H.M.S. Gaspee.
The patriots even cast their bullets in the Tavern.
In 1961 a large old building at the same corner was being demolished
when the wreckers discovered parts of the Tavern. The old tavern was then
moved to 209 Williams Street and added to a larger house, then the home
of the Gaspee Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. This
one large room was named the Gaspee Room. Around 1980 the DAR's membership
had dropped and the building was given to the Rhode Island Historical Society.
The Society sold the building in 1983 and it is now used as an apartment
When the Tavern was uncovered in 1970, a Warwick resident salvaged the
original door and gave it to the Gaspee Day Committee.
The Rhode Island Historical Society stored the door for many years before
it was loaned to the Warwick Museum. In 1988, the Gaspee Day Committee
voted to let the Pawtuxet Rangers keep the old door in their headquarters,
the old Masonic Hall at the corner of Remington and Bank Streets, Warwick.
to Gaspee.com GDC History Files
Back to Gaspee